Treadmill Worship ~ with Chris Tomlin

Every once in a while I'm good at remembering to get onto my treadmill. My goal is always the same - at least 3 times a week to start off with. I can do this; this is manageable, I tell myself.
Hmmm ... but it doesn't work out that way. There are a million reasons for me to avoid it and those reasons are usually easier to do that stay with my little plan. It's a work in progress.

I have discovered a little place of solitude when I'm on the treadmill. Usually, I am undisturbed. Sometimes the kids interrupt, or the phone rings, or something ...
BUT -
When I pop in my earplugs and turn on my MP3 player, I am transported to my own little world. My own little huffing, puffing, sweating, and worshipping little world.

Yes, I said worshipping.

Because I am in my own little place, with music and lyrics flowing through my ears, into my brain and into my heart, I have been brought to some fantastic times of worship.

I think the first song that got to me while on the treadmill was Chris Tomlin's "Our God". It is one of my favorites, and shouts "VICTORY!" to me.

     "Our God is greater
       Our God is stronger
       God You are higher than any other
       Our God is Healer
       Awesome in power
       Our God, Our God ..."

So there I am, on the treadmill, working at a good pace, and I can't help but raise one hand up in worship. Then the other arm joins in. Lifting His Name up because He is higher than any other. He is greater than any other. Balance has become difficult now, but my arms must stay up. My eyes close, then I stagger ...

I had to open my eyes again. But I could manage with an arm or two up in the air, worshipping with music.

In slowing it down a bit near the end of my treadmill jaunt, Chris Tomlin sang another song to my heart.

     "How great is our God
       Sing with me, how great is our God
       And all will see, how great, how great is our God."

I think it's fantastic that God has gifted this man with lyrics and music straight from God's own heart.
Simple truths.
God is teaching us to know His character through these words.
He is teaching us to know His character through our own worshipping hearts.
My heart just can't help it ~ when I hear music that proclaims who He is, I need to join in.
It's a hungering, needing, filling time ... I need to worship and praise my God.
And as the Chris Tomlin song above states near its end,

     "My heart will sing, how great is our God."

How true it is.
There is such power in simple truth.

Thus began my treadmill worship.
And the journey isn't over.




Comments

Popular Posts