Taste & Crave the Truly Sweet


Sugar.
It lures me into the realm of yum.
And I'm one who likes to dwell in the realm of yum.
I confess, I struggle with the yum in the healthy.
I have yet to find many recipes that have "yum" and "good-for-you" in their description. 
Even my tea every morning needs a touch of sweet comfort. 
A dollop of honey enhances the flavour and my taste buds are happy. 

But lately, I've been doing a bit of thinking.
Caused by a sugar-fast that I am participating in. (See revelationwellness.org)
Twenty-one days.
Twenty-one days of keeping sugar at bay.
And I am reminded daily that it is not about the sugar. 
It's about the fast.
The refraining from something that was such a regular part of my life.
And turning my focus on to the more important filling of God Himself.
This.
This to be the lifestyle change.
The permanent refocus.
The tasting of what is truly good and right.

And a verse keeps going through my mind.

"Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in Him." (Ps. 34:8, NIV)

Taste and see. 
So I wondered if there were other references to taste and God, in the Bible.
I found a few.

"Like newborn babies, crave spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in salvation, now that you have tasted that the Lord is good." (1 Peter 2:2-3, NIV)
Taste and see.
"How sweet are Your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!" (Ps. 119:103, NIV)
Taste and see.
"Your words were found and I ate them. And Your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart, for I am called by Your Name, O Lord, God of hosts." (Jeremiah 15:16, ESV)
Taste and see.

For there is sweetness in the taste of the Lord. 
There is joy in the sweetness. 
There is delight in His sweet words.
Because this sweet taste is born out of His love and how we have value in His eyes.
This sweetness affects our very identity.

For I am called by His Name ... He is mine, and I am His.
How sweet is that?

As far as the sugar goes?
The yum factor?
Well, it is a journey.
Sweet lurings come in many forms.
And as we go on, new gems of revelation occur and the "aha" moments come.
And the sweetness of sugar and the realm of yum entices less and less. 



Comments

Popular Posts