Move in Freedom


There was a butterfly on the soccer pitch today.
It flew around without a care.
It floated and let the breeze lift it up and swoop it down.
It zig-zagged across the grassy field while the players readied themselves on the sidelines, oblivious to the appearance of the butterfly.
But I saw it.
I watched it.
And it spoke to me.
I was able to disconnect my mind from all the voices around me.
Soccer parents discussing the game; planes flying overhead; car engines arriving; little soccer siblings crying; dogs barking.
They all faded to nothing.
But the butterfly ~ she called to me as a gentle whisper in my ear.

"Freedom," she spoke, her feathery voice.

Freedom.

Fly away with me for just a moment.
Let all the cares of your heart become distant. Lay them down and fly with me.
Look! Look how I glide. Look how I move. Watch my pattern. Watch how I create tiny waves of air that graze the tips of the blades of grass.
My movement is strong. Even though I don't fly in a straight line, my movement has purpose.
I fly past your face, beckoning you to come with me.
Move with me.
Move in freedom.

And I found that I craved what she had.

Look at me! Come with me!
Live in the freedom that was given you.
Laugh as you were created to laugh.
Grasp freedom as the beautiful release that it is.
Hold on to the moments of heart flutters and giggles.
Smile at the sunshine and sigh at the warm breeze.
Close your eyes and float as if on my wings.
See the beauty of the world around you.

Move in the freedom that you have when all you desire is in Father God.

The whistle blew and half-time was called.
The butterfly, who had removed itself from the field of players, now returned to the pitch.
The half-time show commenced and mesmerized as the orange and black wings flashed across my line of vision. I almost reached out my hand to touch the little beauty.
Instead, I sat, watching.

There was a butterfly on the soccer pitch today.
It flew around and whispered freedom.




Comments

Popular Posts