Posture Check


I confess.
There have been many times in my life when I have been a face-down-walker.
Down, looking at the cracks in the sidewalk. Just in case I'd trip on one.
Down, avoiding the eyes of other passersby. Just in case they see me.
Down, the feelings of unworthiness smothering out the truth of love.

And the posture of down took over the posture of joy.

Last fall, a friend shared a picture of a rainbow and made a comment about how many she had seen that year. So many reminders of God's promises.
While not my usual reaction to a rainbow, I frowned. My first thought was, "I've hardly seen any. Where is she seeing all these rainbows?"
And the very clear, immediate thought that followed was, "You only see the rainbows if you look up."
Hmmm.
A little conversation with God. I frown, He smiles. I complain, He encourages. I fret, He calms.
Life's problems have a way of turning my face down to the ground
But God.
He gently puts a finger under my chin and tilts my head upward.
"Look! Look up!" He speaks. "Lift up your face!"

There is a problem with keeping our heads down.
A few years ago, as I rode in the truck with my boss to a gardening job, we passed a girl walking at the side of the road. She was texting someone on her cell phone. A scene taken from a classic movie gag reel occurred a moment later. It was as if time slowed as we watched the unfolding of her approach to the street sign ahead. Her pace was strong. Her head was down. Concentration on the device held her captive. And SMACK! She walked right into the sign, face first. Her hand flew to her now hurting face. The phone remained in her other hand. She walked on like that until out of our vision.

A face turned down doesn't see the sign.
The posture of down takes over the posture of clarity.
A face turned down concentrates on the what-ifs.
The posture of down takes over the posture of trust and hope.
A face turned down convinces you of inevitable rejection.
The posture of down hides in shadows.
A face turned down to the sidewalk cracks misses the awe-inspiring rainbow.

A face lifted up to heaven reflects God's light and becomes radiant.
A face lifted up shines like the dawn.
And sees the rainbow.
The promise.
The hope.
The love of Christ.
And joy radiates, sending out beams of light and life. 
The posture of up straightens you into the posture of joy.
Because there is something transformational when the Father touches your face, says, "Look! Look up! Lift up your face!", and smiles. 


(*Thanks to Heather Vanderlip for sharing her rainbow photo and for getting me thinking.*)

Comments

Popular Posts