Prisoner of Hope






I love castles. I love the stonework, the majesty, the old beauty. I love the moat, the drawbridge, the watch-towers.
I have to confess, though, that I have never been to a real castle. What I have in my mind's eye is what has been presented in books, movies, and photographs.
I would love to visit one ~ to walk through a castle and wonder about its history. Who lived here? What was life like here? Were battles raged in and around? Were people sequestered here when threats attacked? Were they kept safe? Did the walls shelter them from adversaries?

I discovered a Bible verse the other day and fell in love. It's my castle verse, my fortress verse ~

"Return to your stronghold, O prisoners of hope; today I declare that I will restore to you double." (Zechariah 9:12, ESV)

My stronghold is God's love. His spread-open arms encircling me. My safe place.
I am a prisoner there. Hope has captured me and placed a hold on me. Oh, there are times when I kick and scream. There are times when I look for an escape route.
But this castle is well-made.
This stronghold cannot be penetrated.
This stronghold, this love, cannot be destroyed.
This stronghold stands when all other walls come crumbling down. When the battle rages and defeat seems inevitable.

A stronghold is a place that has been strengthened to protect from attack; also a place where a prisoner may be kept.
A prisoner is someone who has been pursued, captured and then confined.
To be confined is to keep someone within certain boundaries. Within barriers. Within limits.

The beauty of hope taking me captive is this ~
When I am caught within the limits of hope ... I find that hope is actually limitless. Because it is EXPECTATION. It is not IF, but WHEN. It is not wishful thinking, but confident and sure knowing. Being a prisoner of hope ... I find that hope confines me within the boundary of expectation, which is actually freedom.

We can rest in our safe fortress, where hope holds us captive, within the presence of God.
The presence of God IS the fortress, the stronghold called, God's love.

"For I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God's love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow - not even the powers of hell can separate us from God's love." (Romans 8:38, NLT)

His love, my stronghold; His hope, my captor.
Not even the powers of hell can penetrate the fortress.

"And this hope will not lead to disappointment. For we know how dearly God loves us ..." (Romans 5:5, NLT)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts