Wind, Water and the Great I AM

I went camping a lot when I was younger. My family joined up with a couple of my cousin families and grandparents every year.
We fished.
We swam.
We sang campfire songs.
We canoed.
My cousin and I were canoe buddies and we paddled all over the lake. One day the wind picked up and it was so strong it kept pushing us farther from the shore. The distance that took us maybe half an hour to paddle out, took a couple hours to paddle back in. It was momentarily frightening.
Muscles straining and singing our hearts out (as singing seemed to keep the mood light and fun), we pushed through the wind and eventually made our way back safely.

I understand a bit of the fear out on the water in high winds, but I only had a small taste of it.

There is a story I first noticed when I was a teenager. A story that impacted me greatly. It's a beautiful story about a near-drowning, and a fabulous rescue ~

One night there were a group of friends who got into their boat. They were going to cross the lake to get to the opposite shore. The weather turned on them, and what was initially calm turned into a tempest.
This group of friends went out at night and they were on a bigger lake than the one I had canoed.
I'm not sure if there was singing.

In the wee hours of the morning, they saw something that really shocked their minds and hearts. They were terrified because they thought they saw a ghost walking on the water towards them.

Waves smashed the sides of the boat, water sloshed over the edges, soaking the men. Maybe at times, the bow of the boat would dip under the waves and thoughts of sinking passed through their minds.
Facing the storm was one thing.
Facing the unknown that was coming towards them on the water, was another.
Fear gripped.
Grown men screamed in terror.

Then, a beautiful thing.
For this approaching figure was not a ghost, but Someone whose power made walking on water look natural.
Jesus.
And then He spoke.
"But Jesus immediately said to them, 'Take courage, it is I. Don't be afraid.' " (Matt.14:27)

The first thing that struck me was the word "immediately". At once. No hesitation. Just calm. "Immediately" Jesus spoke as if to assure them.
And then the profound ~ "It is I." The Great I AM.
"It is I. Don't be afraid."
How many times in life do we need to have this same reassurance? And there it is.
A few verses later, Peter is wondering about this, wondering if it really was Jesus. I'm not sure who he thought it would be, walking on the water and all, but Peter still questioned.
Peter and I have common ground here.
And when he saw the high waves still roaring, fear took hold again. "Save me, Lord!" he called.
How many times have I said the same?
Then again, Jesus' immediate response.
"Instantly Jesus reached out His hand and grabbed him." (vs.31)

I'm thankful for the God of immediate and instant rescue. I am awed by the One who asks "Why did you doubt Me?" (vs.31)
I am humbled by the God who was, who is, and who is to come.
Because he so often whispers to my heart "It is I. Don't be afraid."
It's my doubt or my fear that so often block the hearing of the message.
The One who walks on water in a raging storm tells us not to fear.
Because He is the I AM.

Comments

Popular Posts