The Back Yard Grass (and the flowers that grow within)

Sometimes the grass grows too long. I admit it. There are times when it needs a trim, and the trimmers are taking a break. Years ago, the grass in part of the yard became a home to garter snakes. When the critters and slithering beasts begin to make your back yard their home you know it's time to cut the grass. We haven't let it get that long again, but there are times it gets a wee bit hairy back there. That being said, our yard is a funny yard; in parts, the grass grows fast and furious, and in other areas, it's just stubble. And now that I'm thinking of it, I'm wondering if the long stuff is grass at all. The normal yard grass anyway.

Another admission is that there are a lot of weeds and wildflowers growing amongst the blades of grass, so that the grass seems to fade away and be overtaken by the other varieties of greenery that have become our back yard.

Periwinkle grows abundantly and seems to appear in different places every year. Pretty miniature daisies (or what appear to be daisies) like to add a splash of white to offset the vibrant violet of the periwinkle. The other day I spotted what looked like a buttercup growing in the grass. I'm not sure what that one was, but it's the lone yellow flash in the green grass. A gorgeous low growing purple flowered plant that my mother-in-law gave me years ago, has jumped the boundaries of my garden and decided that it likes the grass better. Dandelions, which are just fleecy tufts of seeds now, present themselves all over the yard; they remind me of a big pillow fight waiting to happen. Run through those babies and soft fluff will be raining down, promising a good crop of yellow flowers next spring.

I had originally wanted to write this blog post about joy; hoping to find a flower that symbolizes this fabulous attribute. Joy is something I desire to have in over-abundance in my life. Overflowing, inward and outward, overwhelming JOY. For a joyful heart can reap such greatness, such hope, such love. It's a healing power in itself. I came across the Wood Sorrel, as a plant that could mean "joy", but as I read about it, I discovered that it is a weed. A weed with many benefits - it's been consumed by humans and helped heal an assortment of maladies - yet it also comes with a warning of toxicity.

So, I will still plant some joy in my heart's garden, but I'll be content with the beautiful weeds that already grow in our yard and leave the wood sorrel to the wild places it grows - which do not include our property at this time.

Soon enough, our grass will be cut and my lovely wild weeds will have their tops shorn off, but roots grow deep and I know they'll be back.








Comments

Popular Posts