Good News, Great Joy!






I love history.
I love the stories of heroism, of strength despite circumstance, of victory despite what looks apparent. I love the rise of the underdog, the surprise of the unexpected.
Of course, I am sitting on this side of things, in history's future.
So it's easy for me to get excited when I read of an event, knowing the outcome, cheering on the players because I know it turns out well for them.
Sometimes we ask the question, "If you could go back into a time in history, when would you choose?" There are so many answers to that one. But I'm thinking on it tonight as I read Luke 2.
Being a witness to the birth of the Savior would have been amazing. Sitting there in the stable with Mary and Joseph, watching and holding the newborn babe. Knowing His purpose, His future, His impact on my future. Mind-blowing. Would I have been able to stand in His presence? I'm thinking, no.
And reading a little further into the story, I have found another place where I would choose to go. Into a field where there is a good view of the stars.
I love a starry night. Here where I live, I can go lie on the beach after dark and stare into the heavens, often seeing more stars than any human could ever imagine to count.
My mind can only grasp a flimsy image of what the sky looked like on the night Jesus was born.
I'd like to sit with the shepherds, who were out in the fields near Bethlehem with their sheep. I'd like to see their faces when the angel appeared to them. I'd like to see the angel and THE star. I'd like to see the brilliance of God that night. I'd like to hear the shepherds' conversation, their passionate response to the angel's message.
Incidentally, they had a similar reaction to seeing an angel as did Zechariah and Mary in Luke 1. And the angel immediately said, "Don't be afraid!" (Luke 2:10, NLT)
What did they see?
With these guys, it wasn't just an angel. The "radiance of the Lord's glory surrounded them" (Luke 2:9). What did that look like? Fall-to-your-knees blinding? Stunning. Astonishing. Overwhelming.
No wonder they were terrified. Their calm, quiet night was interrupted by something they had never seen before. Something beyond their limited human imaginations.
And what a message they were told! "I bring you good news that will bring great joy ..." (Luke 2:10) A Savior born! Directions on how to find the baby so they could see themselves this wondrous thing.
Next, a "vast host of others - the armies of heaven ..." (Luke 2:13) appeared alongside the first angel.
Armies? I think if I wasn't already on the ground in fear, in astonishment, in wonder ... I would have hit the ground then. What a moment. An enormous number of angels were praising God. From my prostrate position, my arms would have been raised in worship; out of my control, they would have reached skyward. How could they not?
What a phenomenal moment in history.
The glory of the Lord came down and visited a group of hard-working, common shepherds with a message of joy. A joy message that has spanned a couple thousand years of history and that will never be diminished.
Healer.
Friend.
King.
Savior.
Victor.
Hope.
Jesus.
Good news of great joy. Indeed!

Comments

Popular Posts