Back Against the Ropes

I discovered something.
I like to box.
I say that loosely, as I have never actually participated in nor watched a boxing match.
But I know I like it.
It's kind of funny, really. I was in the middle of a treadmill workout and decided that my arms needed a little more activity, so I began to throw some punches.
That motion increased my heart rate and intensity level to a point of satisfaction.
Simply, it felt good.

There is a music band I love. Their lyrics are great, and they are truly musically gifted, with different songs having different musical flavours. (More on the band in a bit.)
There is a song on one of their albums which resonates with me lately. A lot.
It's about fighting the good fight.
In difficult times.
In trials and temptations.
In anger and sadness.
In hurt and brokenness.
Keep on fighting. Don't give up.

God's Word says, "Fight the good fight for true faith. Hold tightly to the eternal life to which God has called you ... "   (1 Timothy 6:12, NLT)

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful." (2 Timothy 4:7, NLT)

Often our enemy comes after us like an opponent in the boxing ring. Sometime we stand our ground, our feet steady and fixed. Other times we are beat back against the ropes. Then there is no where to go. The ropes keep you from falling out of the ring, but there isn't a lot you can do except fend off the incoming punches and keep on fighting until the enemy flees.

So much of life is a battle.

There are battles when we take cover within the protection of God's strength and power; He takes the fight for us.
2 Chronicles 20:17 says, "But you will not even need to fight. Take your positions; then stand still and watch the Lord's victory. He is with you." (NLT)
There are also those battles when He says for us to keep up the fight.
Never does that mean we fight alone.

He still fights for us. He still fights with us.
He is in the ring.

Our position in the fight is to trust God.
Our mission in the fight is to cling to faithfulness.

When it would be easier to drop to the floor in defeat, we can stand up, even if it's against the ropes, and keep fighting.
I recently read a story telling about Muhammad Ali, famous boxer. He learned an impressive technique when he was backed up against the ropes. He would hold his arms high to guard himself, while taking punches to the arms not his face. He would sway from side to side using the ropes support, while his opponent kept swinging at him. The opponent eventually tired, and Ali was able to rise up with his reserved strength and go in for the knockout.

The band I mentioned earlier is a band called Unspoken. The song is, "Good Fight". They sing,
"When it's hard times, when it's long days, and the enemy is right up in your face; when your back's against the ropes, and you're feeling all alone, keep fighting the good fight."
The rest of the lyrics are fantastic too.
Have a listen:










Comments

Popular Posts